These luscious baked beans are so easy with the crock pot and so tasty. This recipe calls for maple syrup instead of sugar, so they’re healthier than regular store-bought baked beans.
- 16-oz. thick-cut bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 15.5-oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5-oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15.5-oz. cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 T. sugar-free Dijon mustard
- 1/4 t. gluten-free liquid smoke
- 1 c. real maple syrup
- 2 c. chicken broth, preferably organic
- Add chopped bacon and onion to a large skillet. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook over medium heat until bacon starts to get crispy and the onion is soft, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and carefully drain excess grease. Set aside.
- Add the beans, bacon, and onion to a 6-quart or larger slow cooker crock. Top with the tomato paste, Dijon mustard, liquid smoke, maple syrup, and chicken broth, and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Remove lid and stir to combine. Taste and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, before serving. Enjoy!
- Category: Slow Cooker
- Method: Crock Pot
- Cuisine: American
Publisher of Great Living Today, your one-stop source for greater living featuring tips, techniques, and programs in the areas of health & wellness, wealth, time management, business, love, relationships, and happiness. Marty is a life, business, and wellness coach helping his clients to live their best lives.