This easy and versatile 30-minute beef taco skillet can be served a couple of ways. For a delicious main course, serve with shredded lettuce, salsa, chopped tomatoes, extra cheese, and some warm corn taco shells or large lettuce leaves for wrapping. For a hearty appetizer, as shown here, serve with gluten-free tortilla chips and top with diced tomatoes, green onion, avocado, and extra cheese right before serving.
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 t. ground coriander
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 1 ½ t. fine sea salt
- 1 t. ground black pepper
- ½ t. ground white pepper
- ¼ – ½ t. cayenne pepper*
Remaining taco seasoning can be stored in an airtight container with a tight-fitting lid for several months.
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1¼ lbs. ground beef (80% lean)
- 2 T. taco seasoning
- 1 10-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilis, drained
- 4 oz. shredded Mexican-blend cheese (+ extra for serving or topping)
* Eliminate cayenne pepper or add just the right amount you like
- Prepare the taco seasoning by combining all ingredients in a bowl. Stir to combine and transfer to an airtight container. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. Add diced onion and garlic and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and develops some color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add beef to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat from skillet.
- Add taco seasoning and fire-roasted tomatoes and green chilis and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, until tomatoes are heated through and the beef mixture is thoroughly coated in the taco seasoning, approximately 2-3 minutes. Taste, and add additional taco seasoning, if desired.
- Remove from heat and top with shredded cheese. Cover for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately with desired accompaniments. Enjoy!
Optional, to Serve:
For tacos: Taco shells or lettuce wraps, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, and/or extra cheese
For nachos: Gluten-free tortilla chips, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, and/or avocado
Publisher of Great Living Today, your one-stop source for greater living featuring tips, techniques, and programs in the areas of health & wellness, wealth, time management, business, love, relationships, and happiness. Marty is a life, business, and wellness coach helping his clients to live their best lives.