It’s not much fun to face life or the business world alone. The right partner can make all the difference.
Have you found yourself dating clones of the same person repeatedly? Most of us are very poor at finding the right partner. We have a little success with one type of person and believe the answer lies in improving our ability to change others. But no one wants to be changed.
Finding the ideal business partner is no different. It’s necessary to find someone that fits your requirements. Do you know your requirements? Have you ever thought about it?
Use these techniques and find your perfect partner:
1. Create a desirable target. Take some time to list all the characteristics your perfect partner will possess. You’ll need at least 25 attributes. Spend a few days and give the matter some thought.
2. List examples of those characteristics. If you’re looking for someone with a great sense of humor, think of someone with that same characteristic. It’s okay if you dislike everything else about that person. Try to find an example that you know personally, but feel free to use an imaginary person if they display the characteristic you have in mind. For example:
* Sense of humor – My next-door neighbor, Mary, in Syracuse
* Great mother – Mrs. Cunningham from Happy Days
* Enjoys the outdoors – Sarah, my camp counselor
3. Visualize a person with all of your listed characteristics. You might not have a clear picture of their physical appearance, but that’s fine. Imagine being with this person and note how you feel. Can you make the experience any better? What can you add or subtract?
4. Review your target each morning and again at night. Read the characteristic and example. Pick a reasonable timeframe to accomplish this search.
* Tell yourself, “I will have met the man/woman that possesses these qualities before (date).”
5. Make a plan. More than a few gurus will tell you that your work is done. All you need to do is relax in your recliner until Mr. or Mrs. Right knocks on the door. You can do better than that!
* How could you go about finding this person? If you’re looking for a romantic partner, you might consider dating websites, spending time where other singles meet, or asking your friends if they know of anyone.
* Finding the ideal business partner will require a different set of strategies, but the same concept applies. Where could you find this person?
6. Create habits that will increase your odds. Perusing the dating profiles and contacting three people each day would be an effective habit. Introducing yourself to one attractive person each day would be another. What can you do on a regular basis that will help you find the partner of your dreams?
* Add one new habit each week. Avoid trying to do too much too soon. Slow, consistent progress is better than no progress at all.
7. Listen to your gut. If you suddenly have an urge to go somewhere or do something, follow your instincts. It’s surprising how powerful hunches can be. Give nature a chance to work its magic.
8. Be persistent. Your perfect partner is out there, and they’re probably looking for you, too. You’re bound to find each other eventually, provided you continue your quest. Avoid giving up! Your odds drop to nearly zero if you quit.
Whether you’re looking for the love of your life, or a business partner that can take your business to the next level, it’s important to know exactly who you’re looking for. Finding the perfect partner requires intention and effort, but it’s well worth your time.
Finding the right partner is much more effective than trying to change someone into the perfect partner. Make your list, review it daily, make a plan, and keep your eyes open!
Publisher of Great Living Today, your one-stop source for greater living featuring tips, techniques, and programs in the areas of health & wellness, wealth, time management, business, love, relationships, and happiness. Marty is a life, business, and wellness coach helping his clients to live their best lives.